Self Publishing My Book
What I Know So Far (For Children’s Book)
Step 1: Story
Have a super amazing story, that even you can fell in love with it!
- Check self-publishing sites for requirements and sample templates
- Decide the size of your book
- Createspace – free to submit, you’ll just pay for a proof copy if you want to sell printed copies
- Blurb – Same, free to submit, just pay the proof copy
- Lulu – Same, free to submit, just pay the proof copy
Step 2: Write
Write it down, from start to finish. Divide it into chapters if you need to.
Step 3: Prepare
Format the story (Or find someone to format it for you). I used Bookwright from blurb, it also has a plugin for InDesign users. I like the app, it’s easy to use and you can see the preview of the book which makes it more exciting.
Step 4: Cover Page
Create the cover page. Or hire someone to illustrate or design the cover page for you. I am an illustrator and have illustrated children’s books as my main job so I have experience making the cover and illustrations.
Step 5: Start Promoting
Once the cover is done, you now have a photo to show off to! Start marketing, open facebook page, set up everything on social media, including the release date (even if tentative) and if you have a book trailer, start promoting it. Share to as many social media sites as you can, also include Pinterest and StumbleUpon. Schedule blog posts related to the book, or the making of the book.